every time i start to get sad about how i'm having trouble getting pregnant, all i have to do is remember how awesome my life is with my little best friend. we sleep in till 10. we make waffles and talk about our crazy dreams from the night before. then a little tidying is in order...
then some yoga (pronounced "oga"), a little crafting, then we decide we better get ready (it's now 2 pm when we hop in the bubble bath) for the days errands and "drudgeries"...
drudgeries like a smoothie and quesadilla before a little shopping. then it's home to make dinner for daddy and relax together. nope. i have nothing to be sad about. quite the opposite actually.
is anyone sick of me talking about second hand treasures? good, me neither! i was just looking at a pile of lovely free things found last weekend- a pile of yoga journal back issues, and vintage patterns- and thought i should share a link someone emailed me after my last thrift love post. freecycle.org is a yahoo group dedicated to "changing the world one gift at a time." grant and i are huge fans. how it works: you sign up for your city's group (quick and painless) and then when you have something you don't need you offer it to your group, and when you see someone offering something you need, you take it. easy. if you're the first to claim something it's left on the person's porch and you pick it up that day, and if you offer something you simply put it on your porch instead of having to haul if off to the di. we have gotten everything from a propane barbeque to super cool oil paintings to a bag of french bread (which grant won't eat, he says that's going to far...but i say you can never go too far).
i also want to clarify something that i don't believe in- collecting crap just because you can. i am NOT a junk collector. there was a buying checklist in better homes and gardens that i support completely. to buy or accept something second hand (or firsthand, for that matter), the answer must be yes to ALL of these questions:
the only exceptions to this buying test for me is periodicals and books that i will read and then pass on. i also follow those questions for clothes, new or used. the favorite characteristic of any piece for me would be "timeless". i really believe that more stuff just means more work, more chaos, and more stress. and if you both love and need everything you own life is simple and happy.
2. i feel inspired. can't wait to show what i'm working on for the shop update next tuesday, it's all going to be so pretty.
3. i feel happy. ck gave me an honorable mention in this year's hall of fame. so that's cool. and my favoritest scrapbooker in all the land won a real hof spot, and that makes me even more happy cause she rocks.
4. i feel ready. it's time to go to the doctor and face the cause of our difficulty conceiving.
5. i feel smarter. cause i have brown hair now.
6. i feel exhausted. why do i always stay up too late?
7. i feel satisfied. life is good, we are healthy, family ties season one is out on dvd. what more could i ask for?