remember this fancy post? it was written on, what we affectionately call around here, an upswing. sometimes i get in moods where i am so creative i can hardly contain myself. my plans are lofty, projects are started in every room, life is good! i pump out ideas, crafts, and glorious dinners! i update the etsy shop! i take great pictures! i answer emails! sleep is a burden! i'm hot, baby!
but do you know what happens after upswings? it then is time for the less-affectionately called downswing. it's been downswing city around here. as in: i never sent out invites. i haven't bought/ carved/ cared about pumpkins. cate's costume is still undecided. i didn't decorate the house. i can't find my witch dress. i have no time to rip up fabric or make fancy confections. and frankly, i'm kind of ticked that tomorrow is halloween and i have to miss my ice cream and granola bowl slash golden girls hour. i mean, their hearts are true, they're my pals and my confidants!
so i've got like, this afternoon, to pull myself out of it and get ready to enjoy my favorite day of the year or i will have officially blown it. i think i'm going to stare at this picture of me from last halloween (ha ha... but really though, i do look like that in my witch dress) until i'm in the mood to carve a big pumpkin, rat my hair, and light spooky candles. because i know i will be so sad i didn't when the next upswing hits. ah, such is the life of a hormonalcreativedramatic woman (i think that's the official diagnostic term). so, in case you were wondering if i always have my act together, the answer is an emphatic no. if you were wondering if i really do look like elvira in my witch dress, the answer is an emphatic yes.
it's just such a shame i can't find it.
so much is buzzing in my head right now. so many happies, worries, thoughts, stories. i'm just dying to blog about something but i can't quite commit. what do you want to hear about? options:
1. my hsg test yesterday. and how i failed it.
2. my solid habit of a good sweaty daily workout that i'm loving.
3. how these workouts are resulting in good stress relief but zero weight loss. instead, a steady weight gain. and how this is a metaphor for the whole of my life.
4. my church calling as enrichment leader and how i am planning a saturday craft day and the irony of it being so stinking hard for me to do. i know you guys like what i make, but i don't think my ladies will like it, you know, since they aren't you guys. so do i sell out to vinyl letters on various pieces of wood or do i risk wounded pride when no one wants to make my things?
5. my joy at stephanie's leaving of the woods!
6. how i'm super into scrapbooking right now. i even have some crap that i made to prove it. how i think you can make any craft cool. that's all martha's people do. take out of fashion art forms and reinvent them. you better believe scrapbooking can be awesome.
7. blogs that i hate. just kidding. i'll never tell you what blogs i hate. but i could share a few more i love.
8. how i am incapable of getting through my inbox.
9. how much i love my little family and how good the diet coke at el pollo loco is. i was going to quit diet coke again, but i decided it's the one daily thing i do to help the economy, so i better do my part. fill 'er up please!
10. a french onion soup recipe that i made the other night that was soooooooo good. except the kitchen smelled like dirty feet for two days and gave me a migraine. worth it? maybe.
11. how i've been staying up late everynight to watch....wait for it....golden girls. yes that's right. on good 'ol lifetime. why? i have no idea, except it there are some kind of good associations with this show and childhood that are really fuzzy. did i watch it with my mom? i don't know. but it makes me all happy and in the mood to get old. and that rose is such a hoot!
12. how cate and i have broken record for the most viewings of hocus pocus ever. and how yesterday cate asked what a virgin was. hmmm. i guess that movie isn't as family friendly as once supposed.
oh wow, i'm exhausted. i don't feel like blogging anymore. i'll come up with something tomorrow, i guess. have a good one!
there's a world where i can go and tell my secrets to
in my room, in my room
in this world i lock out all my worries and my fears
in my room, in my room
do my dreaming and my scheming
lie awake and pray
do my crying and my sighing
laugh at yesterday
now it's dark and i'm alone
but i won't be afraid
in my room, in my room
in my room, in my room
i know i'm not alone, in our room
-the beach boys
a wedding palette from miss martha's weddings. oh, the joy it gives me. drooooool.
my dream couch. i wish i would learn to keep track of where i get images from. i am sure this is from apartment therapy? woops. anyhoo, if you know of a couch like this, i would go to the corners of the earth for it (secondhand i mean).
and i'm mostly sure this is rachel's entry way. even if it's not, her house is amazing in the modern thrifted beauty kind of way that makes my heart happy.
my new to me favorite blog. she and her husband are an adorable totallyinlove little mormon couple living the nyc life. she's a dancer, and her style totally rocks my world. (or as i said to my sister, which was met with laughter loud and long: "it's like, someone had my same dream at age ten, only they did it!").
well, how simple and free is that for prettying up your weekend dinner table? or for outdoor family dining? heart.
elsie's fabulous post about trying to "make it" in a creative career. great advice, and a lot of it. and yes, i realize she looks alot like the last inspiring girl picture. yes, i have a type. yes, i will be knitting those hats for the etsy shop.
my friend, and favorite scrapbooker of all time: jill. she posted this page that makes me want to scrapbook so bad that i almost did. ha! also, her life is an inspiration to me right now as they just followed their dream and left utah (!) to go live on a farm in the pacific northwest. heart heart.
still daily receiving of spiritual epiphanies and inspirations from the miracle that is the nielson family. these thoughts on gaining perspective in the face of this tragedy were especially poignant to me today. i continue to pray.
still dreaming about getting to my crochet projects. this crocheter has me super dooper inspired. triple heart.
but the very most inspirationy thing? being a mommy and trying to do what's best for my family. really trying to be and do better each day (which isn't so hard, because i perform so poorly to begin with). floods of ideas for your family's welfare come as you pray and meditate for their happiness.
i really loved reading all the comments from yesterday's post. they really moved me, and the quotes shared were so so powerful to me. my favorite: "it is common sense to take a method and try it. if it fails, admit it frankly and try another. but above all, try something." - franklin d. roosevelt
think about that! what a perfect solution to all the stress and worry of life. all the waiting for good things to happen. work! try! try again! build a life you love! i love the adage "pray for wind and row for shore". thanks elizabeth for sharing that quote, and everyone for the friendship and support. quadruple heart.